I got to be in a movie!! Part two! 🎬🍿

 

Image Credit: Pinterest

Hiii again!! Welcome to part two of sharing my experience of being an extra in a film! Jumping right back into where I left off, following the Assembly Hall filming day, I was feeling a little down in the dumps as things ended differently from how I wanted them to. 

Regardless, I was and still am immensely grateful that I was even able to be an extra in the first place! Plus, I got to be in Assembly Hall as well as see Bloomington, as I have never really been to either before. But most importantly, despite the chaos, I can still say that I was in a movie and I will have these memories forever!

But I was excited to get back home because even though I was gone for just a few days, I did miss my mom and all my animals, especially my cats, so that took my mind off of things. Then a few days later I got a text message about the opportunity to be a paid extra for "Little Five." 

Now, my first inclination was "oh, this must be a scam." Because as I said in part one, who would I be if I didn't have the anxiety of a horse? (A much more sane person is the answer, but I digress.) 

However, to share a little side story, back when I was filming at Assembly Hall, I saw this one girl on the gym floor that looked very familiar, but I couldn't quite place how or where I knew her from. So I went back into my memory intensely, and then it clicked that I had a film class with her! 

Then thankfully my memory retention skills were actually working for once, and I remembered her name, so I was able to reach out to her. Also thankfully, I did in fact contact the right girl, and it was her, so I knew I wasn't crazy. 🙏

But anyway, after debriefing our experiences, I told her about the text I got, and she reassured me that it was a legit thing. (By the way, if you are seeing this girl, I appreciate you sooo much, and I'm so glad we were able to reconnect in this way!!💋💋) 

From there, the process was very straightforward, as in I had to create a profile through the casting agency called 4 Star Casting. Speaking of them, I have to say that 4 Star Casting has been so amazing throughout this entire process!

I did give a shout-out to Miss Erin in my previous post, but I want to say again thank you so much for your patience and reassurance! 💗💗 Specifically, after creating a profile, it was kind of a waiting game to see when the filming dates would be and where. And I may or may not have sent a panic email. 🙈🙈

Anyway, what was a bit challenging is that you would be informed about these dates the day before at the earliest, and for me, I live about three-ish hours away from Bloomington, so receiving some of these dates at the last minute that I just couldn't make work. 

Also, I don't know if this is a Midwest thing or not but I don't know I feel like we have a strong sense of anxiety. For instance, we want to know every single detail immediately and plan things years in advance. Also, I feel like we are always saying sorry and just trying to be as polite as possible and not to be a bother to anyone.

But I mention this because I feel like people from the West Coast or those who live in LA are very laid back and more go with the flow, whereas in the Midwest we just panic. So, if you are reading this and are from the Midwest, please let me know your thoughts. 

Additionally, I guess that's the "Hollywood lifestyle" in terms of receiving a call time with short notice. But still, I was starting to lose hope a bit that this was just going to be impossible to make things work, especially as my parents wanted to know every little detail that I had no idea yet. However, thankfully I did receive an email regarding a two-day shoot which I was able to make work! 

So then my dad accompanied me again for a second trip to Bloomington. With a fixed phone, I might add! (If you recall the chaos from part one, I wasn't able to call him or text him, but thankfully I was able to. Also, total sidebar: I recently got him a stylus for texting, so watch out!) 

But anyway, for this filming location, we were at Bill Armstrong Stadium which is where the Little 500 takes place at IU, and if I heard correctly, is also where the soccer games are held. 

When we got there, it was a little nerve-wracking because we were unsure where to go at first, as there was a specific parking lot we were supposed to go in. Then from there we were supposed to walk to the outside of the stadium. 

But we were actually allowed in to park in this little area outside of the stadium. So thank you to the GOAT security guard that let us go through that way. Also, if production is somehow reading this, I promise my dad was just there to drop me off; he was not loitering or trying to take up a crew member's spot. 

As we drove up, there was a guy sitting at a table, and there also was a big tent nearby. Referring back to that Midwestern anxiety, my dad and I were unsure if that was like the check-in, but thankfully it very much was! So then I got all ready to be checked in, though the guy said I was missing a form, and this made me panic slightly as I made sure I had everything I needed filled out. 

But then he said that I did, and there was some other issue, so he had to call someone else over and had us wait in the meantime. While that was happening, my dad and I kind of got a lay of the land. Although I almost lost my dad as he was moving all around the area. But thankfully, when he was in eyesight of me, we were called back and got everything straightened out. 

So then my dad and I parted ways, and I made my way into that big tent. Now as a whole, this filming day had significantly fewer people than there were at the Assembly Hall filming. At most, there were maybe about 300 people there, but honestly, that feels a little too much as well. 

Though there weren't as many people there still, when I entered the tent I had no idea where to start. To give a basic layout, it was kind of like a little cafeteria in a way, as there were long tables around where some people were sitting. Then there was also a table with breakfast. In one corner, there was a little hair and makeup station, as they had those light-up mirrors. Lastly, in the back, there were some racks of costumes. 

Up until this point, I was still very excited, but I was also very nervous and feeling the natural jitters, as I did not want to mess up or look unprofessional. While I didn't know what to do, I was just trying to stay calm and not get myself into a panic. So I tried to survey what other people were doing and try to figure out where I needed to go. 

Also, I couldn't help but feel nervous that someone was going to see through me and somehow say something along the lines of how I don't belong here. But one hack that I adopted way back in middle school when I would be waiting for my parents to pick me up and I didn't want someone to approach me is pretending to be on the phone. 

Call it weird, but sometimes you just don't want someone to bother you as you are already panicking and just trying to regroup. Think of it like you're trying not to cry, and then someone kindly asks if you're okay, but that makes you cry even more. 

Basically, after pretending to be on the phone and, I guess, using my acting skills, if you will, this one lady in the crew who was also on set for the Assembly Hall filming shouted out some instructions. Also, I have to say too she could be in theater or acting too as she had no problem with projecting her voice! But anyway, she instructed everyone to get in line to get their costumes checked. 

Also, for this filming day we were advised to bring at least three different clothing options. Naturally I brought as many 80s themed outfits that I already had and could fit into a carry-on bag. So I was then waiting in line, and that same lady who could really project asked me if I was one of the cyclists. To which I responded that I'm not and am just a regular extra. 

Then she told me that I had to go into the other line, as I was in the cyclist line. Also, she made a huge announcement to everyone that the line I was previously in was for those who are playing cyclists or specific extras and that everyone else should be in this other line. This kind of felt like being back in school and doing something wrong, to which the teacher then makes a huge announcement to the class saying, "Make sure you don't do this."

Anyway, after a little embarrassment, I got in the correct line and got my costume approved! Not to spoil what I did end up wearing, but I brought this one jacket, and the costume lady seemed to really like it, but I ended up not wearing it at the last second because it was super hot out. But the outfit I came in was still approved, so I just stayed in that. 

After that was settled out, I then went to get approved in hair and makeup. Although I was a little confused at first, as in if I was even allowed to or not. But thankfully, an older gentleman told me that everyone has to go through hair and makeup to get approved. Also more on him later. 

So then I got in line to get approved for hair and makeup, and first was hair. I already had my hair in its natural curls, and I brought three different headband options because I didn't know which one fit the time period or not. 

Anyway, it was then my turn, and I showed the hairstylist the three different headbands, and he first teased my hair a bit more. Then he gave me a side part with a little poof and lastly put a plain black headband on to complete the look! I really felt like I came straight out of the 80s; it was just so cool getting my hair done like that! 

Then I went to get my makeup approved, as I did it myself. I tried going for the most authentic 80s makeup look that I could do because even though the 80s was a very colorful period I feel like the average college-aged girl in the Midwest at the time was not doing her makeup or dressing like Cyndi Lauper. 

Anyway, what's funny is that the makeup girl told me that my makeup was fine, except I was a little too glowy, so she dabbed my face with a makeup puff. But I take that as a huge compliment because better that than "you're too sweaty or greasy." 🙏🙏

name I gave to my background character, I was starting to feel more confident. Specifically, we still had some time before we were called, and I wanted to go potty beforehand, and I very bravely asked two people where the nearest bathroom was, so watch out! 

Luckily, there was an actual bathroom behind the stadium, but the nearest bathroom by the tent was porta potties. 🙈🙈 So I was really brave, and thankfully I did have hand sanitizer, so don't ever question my endurance. 

Soon enough it was time for us to head out to our set for the day at the stadium! One important detail about both shoot days was that it was pretty hot out, so we were advised to bring umbrellas to help keep us cool throughout the day. 

However, I was very foolish and didn't bring one, although I did have a mini-fan, so I at least had that for support. But I think I sweated off a few pounds, so hopefully you can even see me in the background. ⌛⌛ Anyway, we were then placed in the stands, and I was actually in the second row! While we were being placed I was able to make a friend! So hiii Miss Ava if you are seeing this, and thank you for being my buddy for the day!! 💋💋

Unlike filming at Assembly Hall, the spots that we had stayed relatively the same as we weren't moved as often. But when we were, they just had us go from being at one end to the other. Similarly, to filming at Assembly Hall, sometimes we would just be rehearsing a scene, then other times we would be filming. 

Also, sometimes all the extras were needed, then other times we weren't. During the scenes where we weren't needed, they had us move into the shade to cool off. Addiontally, they were some bike-related stunts since this scene took place on the track where they have the Little 500, and that was really cool to see! 

So then we got into a routine of rehearsing a scene and then filming it. Even if we weren't needed for a scene again, it was so insanely cool to see the behind-the-scenes of a film being made. Then at about five pm we had dinner, and they catered Chipotle, which was also insane. However, I ended up getting separated from Ava, but I knew I would see her back at the stadium as we had assigned spots together. 

But if you recall the very nice man named Kevin that helped me, I ended up having an AMAZING conversation with him. At first we were talking about what we do, and then I was telling him about all my hopes and dreams as well as how I have a blog. 

Then he told me that all this reminds him of Carrie Bradshaw and the premise of "Sex and the City." Which is the best compliment ever because I LOVE HER, and just relate to her so much. 

Also, I thought it was kind of funny that he brought up "SATC" because some might say it's more girly. But anyway, I just had such a beautiful conversation with him. Also, he's basically a blogger too, so feel free to check him out too!! In fact, tell him that I sent you. 🤭🤭 

Although I stupidly didn't give him a link to "Girl, Blogging Interrupted," so Kevin, if you are somehow seeing this, I have been browsing your website, and YOU ARE SO COOL!! 

Then after dinner I was reunited with Ava, and we actually had a little break in filming as they were doing stuff on the track and we weren't needed quite yet. So we were behind the stadium in the shade, and Ava then saw a friend of hers who was a bike mechanic for the film, which is so cool!! 

But as those two were talking, all of a sudden I saw these two girls come out of like the announcers' booth. Then immediately I recognized that one of the girls was literally THEE ARIANA GREENBLATT?! This was probably their hideout spot lol. 

But anyways we kind of made eye contact for like five seconds, and meanwhile my face is like this 😮 because I was just so starstruck as she walked by. I'm hoping I didn't look like a total idiot head wad, but she just has so much aura, and I was completely taken aback by how she was literally arm's length away from me. 

When she walked away naturally, I had to tell Ava immediately. Also, Mr. Joe, if somehow you see this or even remember me awkwardly creeping in, I hope I did not interrupt your conversation. 

After this all occurred, I couldn't help but think of this one scene from one of my favorite shows, "The Nanny." Also, complete sidebar in case it hasn't been clear in my posts thus far: words that are not pink and underlined in purple are links that are either citing/referencing something or a very niche meme. So please visit them; it would make my whole day. 

Anyway, soon enough we were back into filming! During this part of filming, we were actually able to act like we were getting up to leave the stadium. Beforehand, our role was to sit in the stands reacting and cheering, so it was kind of fun to move around a bit more. 

Although there was a tiny awkward moment, I'm probably overthinking it way more than this other girl did. Basically, if you recall the one lady in the beginning that told me I was in the wrong line, her and then at least three other people had the role of organizing the extras. There is definitely a way more official term for them but I'd like to think of them as sheep herders and us extras are the sheep. 

Anyway, after walking back to our spots, one of the sheep herders was giving out high-fives and saying Good job. But I didn't see that she was doing that at all, so I missed her high-five. 🙈🙈 So then she was like, "Oh, I guess it was not a good job." 

Then I felt bad and gave her a high-five. I think I was still so locked in that I was totally oblivious that she was doing that. So if you are somehow seeing this or remember this, I'm so sorry, girl. But also, again, I think this is that Midwestern anxiety because why am I like this??

But that aside, we were once again in a solid routine, and then it was 9 pm and we were released for the night. We then checked out, and we also took Ava home to her apartment so she didn't have to walk like five blocks. 

Unfortunately, Miss Ava wasn't able to go to the second filming day as she was moving out of her apartment. So once again, if you are seeing this girl, I enjoyed my time with you and hope you have a great school year!! 💋💋

Then my dad and I went back to our hotel, got a little sweet treat of dark chocolate, and then rested up for day two! For this second filming day, I was feeling more relaxed as I knew more what to expect this time around. Although my dad ran over a traffic cone, but I picked it up real quickly so hopefully no one saw that. 

Anyway, this time around, getting my costume approved was a breeze. Then I got my hair done and makeup approved. Also, for getting my makeup approved, the lady said my makeup was fine again, but my lips were a little too glossy. So this other lady had me get the excess gloss off into a paper towel. In fact, she held the paper towel for me, which felt like such royal treatment. 

So then I was just waiting to be called. Also, for this shooting day I did bring an umbrella. Thankfully, our hotel had an umbrella that they very graciously let me borrow for the day, as it was supposed to rain a little bit. Then after a bit I saw Kevin and we talked a little bit again. 

Specifically, one of the things we talked about was how we were enjoying this experience so far, and then he asked me what the biggest lesson I learned from being on set the day before was. To which I told him that you can't be sad on a movie set because while filming the day before was so much fun, I couldn't help but still have some thoughts of not feeling like I'm good enough to be here. 

I was not feeling similar to how I did at Assembly Hall, but at one point my mind went to make me feel like I was almost at the bottom of the food chain in a way and just not feeling important. Which was a very psychological cut, but just as I told Mr. Kevin this is such an incredible opportunity and I should be counting my blessings not clinging to these thoughts that are trying to bring me down. 

Additionally, Mr. Kevin was very kind and supportive in reminding me that comparison is the thief of joy and that I had a great look and a great attitude and to keep that up! So immediately I started feeling better and made it my goal to just relax and enjoy the day! Then soon enough we were called to set!

We started where we left off yesterday and filmed that for a little bit. Then we weren't needed, so I just had my umbrella up and stayed in my spot to get a close-up of the action! Also, it was really cool because at one point the crew was near me and I really got a behind-the-scenes look at how they were doing everything! 

Then after a little bit we were needed again and were shifted over. However, then it started sprinkling a bit, but luckily it never rained super hard during the day; still it kind of delayed things for a little bit. 

In the meantime, while we were in a break this one super sweet older man named Rick told me that he saw a shot of me on the camera. So hopefully I didn't look like an idiot because I was completely unaware. 🙈🙈 Also, if you are somehow seeing this, Mr. Rick, I hope you had a great birthday!!

Then the rain subsided, and we were back into the routine of rehearsing a scene and then filming it. Soon enough it was time for dinner again, and this time they had chicken wings. Also, I just had to say too that the extra meals from these craft services, Piagsus Pictures, has donated to various emergency shelters, so if you couldn't already love them more, here's just another reason. 

After dinner, we were back into our routine, and we were also shifted around a few more times. I actually got to be near Rick for a little bit and talk to him some more. Then I was moved down a bit further away where I met this adorable older lady named Maryann. She complimented my purse. 🤭🤭

Also speaking of which, one of my little props, if you will, even though I brought it myself, was this little black sparkly Liz Claiborne clutch. I brought it off of Depop, and according to its description it is from the 80s and should be authentic! However, it didn't come in time for the Assembly Hall filming day, but it's okay because I got to use it for this filming. 

Then, while we had a little break, this really cool girl named Nino was taking some pictures and took this really great one of Maryann and I. Also by the way, if you are seeing this girl, YOU ARE SO COOOL, and the pictures were fabulous! 

Also what was funny is that she airdropped the pictures to me and I have never actually done that before so I joked that I must really be living in the 80s. Then we also exchanged Instagrams and ugghhh it was just so fun and cool!! 

From there we were back into the routine of filming and then just rehearsing, and then soon enough it was 8:45 pm, and we were released! As a whole, I was just so incredibly grateful not only to be an extra for Assembly Hall but also to have a second chance to do so. I feel like this experience filming at Bill Armstrong Stadium was kind of like redemption for me. 

Also, I would just like to thank every single extra that I interacted with, no matter how big or small. I hope this experience was enjoyable for you all as well. Additionally, I hope that I embodied a good and positive experience for you as well on set! I can't wait to see us all on the big screen!! 🤭🤭🍿🍿

Overall, if you were to tell me a year ago at this time that I got to be an extra in a film twice, I simply would not have believed you. As in last year at this time, I was going through a really difficult and confusing breakup, and I was feeling so hopeless that I would never be able to find happiness again. 

Though life still has its ups and downs, being a part of this project as an extra has made me feel so happy, and if I could go back and tell myself anything a year ago at this time, it's that things do get so much better!

Also, I would like to encourage whoever is reading this to follow your dreams no matter how big or small, as well as to embrace every opportunity, as you never know where they can take you! Even if you are scared or unsure, do it scared and unsure because it will only help you to grow and become stronger! 

Furthermore, going back to the conversation I had with Mr. Kevin, another thing that we talked about was the idea of how oftentimes we feel the need to fit into one certain category. Whether that be a personality or a career. Therefore, if we have multiple interests or talents, we must choose one. 

From this conversation, I just want to say to all my readers that you absolutely do not have to put yourself in a box and stick to just one thing. Just like in "High School Musical," you do not have to stick to the status quo, and you can be both a basketball player and an actor! 

Lastly, I would like to say a HUGE THANK YOU to Pigasus Pictures for giving this opportunity to fellow ordinary Hoosiers like me as well as so many others! I am so so so excited for this film to come out, and I already am so in love with it! And just in the spirit of Pigasus Pictures, may I remind whoever is reading this that dreams are in fact NOT dumb!! 

I hope you all enjoyed reading about my little acting debut 🤭🤭, and who knows what the future holds as I can be an actress by day and a blogger by night! Speaking of which, to all my dear readers, do not fear, as we have many future treats planned, so stay tuned for them!! 🤭🤭💋💋




 







Comments

Popular Posts